Sleep Apnea Treatment
Sleep apnea is a prevalent disease in Canada that affects roughly 1 in 15 adults. It is a severe condition that can lead to many health problems, including heart disease, stroke, high blood pressure, and diabetes. There are many different sleep apnea treatment options available, and the best one for you will depend on the severity of your condition and your individual needs.
At Westgate Dental Centre, we offer effective, non-surgical treatments for patients who suffer from obstructive sleep apnea (OSA). Contact us to learn more about the treatment options available to you!
What is Sleep Apnea?
Sleep apnea is a condition usually caused by blockage of the airway, which can occur when the muscles in the throat relax during sleep. This relaxation narrows the airway and makes it difficult to breathe. As a result, people with sleep apnea often snore loudly and frequently wake up gasping for breath. Sleep apnea can also cause daytime fatigue, moodiness, and difficulty concentrating.
There are two main types:
– Obstructive sleep apnea (OSA): This is the most common type of sleep apnea. It occurs when the muscles in the back of the throat relax and block the airway.
– Central sleep apnea (CSA): This less common type of sleep apnea occurs when the brain fails to send signals.
The main reason why people get sleep apnea is because of an overhang of the soft palate. This overhang blocks the airway and makes it difficult to breathe. Other causes include:
- Enlarged tonsils or adenoids
- Alcohol use
- Use of certain sedatives or tranquillizers
What Kind of Treatment Should You Get?
There are two major types of treatments you can get today. The first is called Continuous Positive Airway Pressure (CPAP), and the second is called a Mandibular Advancement Device (MAD).
CPAP machines are the most common type of sleep apnea treatment. They work by blowing air into your nose and mouth to keep your airways open while you sleep.
A Mandibular Advancement Device (MAD) is a tool you wear in your mouth while you sleep. They work by bringing your lower jaw forward and opening your airway.
There are also some lifestyle changes you can make that may help improve your sleep apnea, including:
– Avoiding sleeping on your back
– Avoiding smoking or vaping
– Avoiding alcoholic beverages in the evening and before bedtime
– Weight loss
These lifestyle changes and any of the two major types of sleep apnea treatment options can help you get a good night’s sleep and improve your overall health!
Why MAD Sleep Apnea Treatments Are Becoming Popular
- In recent years, a growing number of patients have been receiving MAD treatment for sleep apnea. This is because MADs are less intrusive than CPAP machines and can be more comfortable. In addition, the best mandibular advancement device for sleep apnea can be more effective at treating mild to moderate cases.
Some benefits of using MAD treatments include :
- Comfortable to use
- Effective at treating mild to moderate cases
- Small and portable, so you can take them with you when you travel
If you’re considering a MAD for your treatment, you can expect to pay around $2000 for the device. However, many health insurance plans will cover part or all of the cost.
Westgate Dental Centre combines proven, effective products like the MAD device with sleep tips and professional services to help you enjoy a good night’s rest. We have a dedicated team of sleep disorder specialists to provide you with the treatment and care you need. Visit us in Maple Ridge, BC to learn more about your sleep health and take the first step toward feeling like yourself again.